A communication format that is particularly popular with web and mobile users, video occupies an important place in Google search results. In addition to a tab specifically dedicated to this type of content, the Mountain View giant also displays the most relevant videos prominently in its general results. Adopting a good VSEO strategy means you can benefit from enhanced visibility.
VSEO: why reference your videos?
VSEO (Video Search Engine Optimization) is a set of techniques that comply with Google guidelines and aim to optimise the visibility of videos, mainly on Youtube, but also on competing platforms such as DailyMotion and Rutube. SEO applied to videos is very similar to SEO applied to websites.
Above all, it’s an opportunity to tap into the traffic of the world’s second-largest search engine, which has been owned by Google (Alphabet) since 2006. The world leader in online video distribution, YouTube is also a huge source of potential visitors. In France alone, 5 million videos are viewed every day. What’s more, this type of content is one of the most powerful and engaging marketing levers available today.
Working on the SEO of your YouTube videos therefore has a dual objective:
- Benefit from enhanced visibility in the world’s second-largest search engine and, indirectly, additional Google visibility
- Reach an ever more targeted audience, which increases the rate of engagement and your ROI.
Sylvain is here for you
16 years’ expertise in digital marketing
How can I optimise my videos on YouTube?
As with the natural referencing of your website, the optimisation of your video content must comply with the guidelines imposed by the search giant. While there are many criteria to be taken into account, there are a few fundamentals in SEOV, including :
- Metadata: YouTube is currently unable to understand the content of a video. It is only the metadata present in the video that makes this understanding possible, and therefore the appearance of your clip in its suggestions. Metadata includes your video’s title, description and tags. This information needs to be carefully thought out so that it is relevant to the target audience;
- Subtitling, to make the video easier to understand and share;
- Format: adapt the length of your content to your target audience. While the most frequently viewed video is no longer than 90 seconds, some films can be longer if this is relevant (tutorials, etc). The aim is not to lose the visitor along the way, which would send out the wrong signal to the platform;
- An optimised thumbnail: when a video is uploaded, YouTube selects a thumbnail at random. This thumbnail is rarely optimised. So choose the most relevant one to increase the click-through rate, and therefore its positioning in the search results.
- Good quality: a clear soundtrack and images, in HD if possible, are essential. A basic requirement that is still far from being systematic;
- Netlinking: for a sustainable SEO, you also need to think about implementing a link building strategy.
Would you like to benefit from greater visibility thanks to your video content?
Discover our SMO (Social Media Optimisation) and SMA (Social Media Ads) services and effectively improve your visibility on video platforms.
Apply now to benefit from the expertise of our SEO agency’s VSEO specialists!